Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Creativity Reflection

This is it. This is the time, the week, the day that I was dreading. This is the last week of TAG. I know that I will spend the next month or two talking to camp friends about what we plan to do next year, how amazing this year was, and who is coming back.

By September we will probably have created a count down and will know exactly how many months until TAG next year. It's something always on the back of our minds. All of our friends are quickly sick of our never ending sentences that start out with phrases like, "Oh! When I was at camp..." and "At TAG sort of the same thing happened..." I try not to talk about TAG all the time because people really don't understand. We get annoyed looks, sighs, rolled eyes. But instead of thinking about these next, sad, few weeks, I'm going to focus on the last three.

This year in Creativity has been so much fun! I loved learning about the different ideas about creativity, and I didn't know that there were so many. I always thought that creativity was not something that you couldn't produce and build up, I thought it was something that you were either born with or not. I was very interested to learn how you could develop your creativity. In Twyla Tharp's book, she has gray sections at the end of each chapter that show you how to develop the part of creativity that the chapter was talking about. I really enjoyed the book in this class. I thought that it fit in very well to what we were talking about, and it was easy to understand it, and fun to read.

After the book, my favorite part of the class would have to be the games we played. We played The Triangle Game, The Picnic Game, and solved riddles to enhance our creativity. My favorite was The Picnic Game, and we had lots of fun playing this game with some of our friends. Whenever we were bored we would play The Picnic Game. We even played The Triangle Game a few times. Everyone loved The Picnic Game!

What I enjoyed a lot were the exercises that we did to build right and left side brains that were equal, to create a Superbrain! They were called lateral exercises that are really difficult at first, like Finger Walking, but after five minutes or so, you get the hang of until you are really great. The thing I loved about Finger Walking was that it looks like you are just twiddling your thumbs. You can just sit when you are bored, Finger Walking, and no one knows that you are building a Superbrain! That was one of my favorite parts.

There was so much more to this class that trying to go through everything would take a really long time. If I could, I would take this class again next year. It's a class that I would recommend to anyone, started at TAG, or finishing.

Images: http://www.blogcdn.com/nintendo.joystiq.com/media/2008/11/calendar_pages_flipping_sm.jpg

1 comment: